Black Walnut (Juglans Nigra)
Black Walnut is one of the most valuable and beautiful native trees. Heavy, strong, durable heartwood is easily worked and in great demand for veneers, cabinets making, interior finishing, and gunstocks. Nuts are loved by humans and animals alike. Walnuts are one of the world’s oldest foods and have been cultivated for at least 2,000 years. These nutritious nuts have been linked to love and fertility throughout history and their reputation as an aphrodisiac dates back to ancient Greece and Rome.
- The remarkable strength, variety of grain, figure and coloring of this wood has made it very popular though out history.
- Matures to a rich warm dark brown color
- Clear and Natural available
- Natural grade will have creamy white sap wood
- Heartwood light brown to dark chocolate brown
- Wavy grain produces attractive and decorative figure with great movement
- Tough hardwood with medium density. Has more potential for dings than hickory or oak
- Janka scale – 1000