Hard Maple (Acer Saccharum)
Hard Maple is famous for its maple syrup and stunning leaves display of color in the fall. It favors the cold weather and is typically in North Eastern part of the US. In terms of lumber Acer Saccharum is referred to as Hard Maple, but it is also known as Sugar Maple, Black Maple or Rock Maple.
- Maple is very light in color.
- The heartwood is a light brown and the sapwood is white.
- The sapwood is what is used for flooring from hard maple.
- Very close- grain, very hard, fine textured
- Tough & Strong wood. Commonly used as sports floors and in high traffic commercial buildings.
- Spaulding Maple is a result of fungi forming primarily in dead maple trees. It creates a unique collaboration and design of dark patterns on the white wood.