Both Shagbark Hickory and Pignut Hickory trees are used for our Hickory flooring. Shagbark Hickory is easily identifiable in the forest with its shaggy bark peeling back from the tree trunk. Pignut is not so easily visually distinguishable, but produces plenty of nuts which can be easily found scattered around the base of the tree. The nuts are edible and tasty. Animals love them and Native American’s stored the nuts for winter use making cooking oil and other foods.
- Hickory is a dramatic floor full of character
- Contrasting color tones come through from lighter blonde sapwood and darker brown heartwood to create a visually stimulating patterns from board to board
- One of nature’s toughest woods
- Great floor for kitchens and high traffic areas and families
- R&Q available, but typically plain sawn
- Only available in Millrun (mix of the natural & clear)
- Janka 1820